Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Brag Sheet

The Whitest Boy Alive split. :(
(http://www.itsallindie.com/2014/06/the-whitest-boy-alive-announce-their.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ItsAllIndie+%28It%27s+All+Indie%29)

Why is that something you should care about, especially if you're not particularly into The Whitest Boy Alive? Do you even know who they are? I didn't know either until maybe about a year or two ago. The article that I linked to tells me that they've been a band for around 10 years and they released the two albums, Rules and Dreams. I discovered them via Rhapsody, I think.

My favorite songs by them are "Burning", "1517", "Don't Give Up", "Intentions", "Fireworks", and "Done With You". I'm not the best music describer, but I can tell you that all the music I've ever heard them play was super duper mellow and the singing was always soft spoken. It seemed so gentle but the instruments used weren't of the pixie dream variety. They used regular instruments like your standard drums and guitar. I think that's one of the elements that attracted me to their music, they weren't overly indie. Is that a thing? Do you feel me? (This is not to say that I don't like and appreciate the overly-indie, but sometimes there is value in moderation).

Anyway, back to the title!

One of my guidance counselors sent a mass e-mail informing Juniors about Brag Sheets. They are documents that are supposed to display your accomplishments, abilities, and aspirations. Personally, I think they serve more as Cheat Sheets, so that guidance counselors can write recommendations for you even when they don't really know you.

I've just looked at it and I realize that I haven't won many awards. It makes me sad but then again, not that sad. I can't really go back into the past and enter more contests so I'll just settle for what I've done so far. I wanted to try and enter more during Senior year (and maybe during the summer I'll spend being a rising Senior :). But nonetheless, I think I'm alright.

I kind of wish that I could write things like: Once pulled an all-nighter reading fanfiction - shows dedication. Or, has a really impeccable music taste - should be granted the opportunity to make a playlist for the POTUS. I feel like it would more accurately represent who I am, my aspirations/abilities/accomplishments better than submitting my course load and my Chinese poetry recitation award.

Chinese poetry? wow much cool

Should I ask questions even though I don't think people actually read this blog? Uh, if you're yet to attend college, what colleges would you like to apply to/have applied to?


No comments:

Post a Comment