Saturday, May 30, 2015

IT IS MAY 30TH AND I AM DISGUSTING

[Currently listening to Metronomy's Nights Out album.]

Hello, passerby. I am alive. I still read. I still write. I just don't write about what I read here anymore. This is not to be the reality any longer. 

Final exams are rearing their ugly heads pretty soon (June 11th!) but graduation's blossoms are opening and filling the air with the heady smell of freedom from the formative years of the American education system (June 19th!). 

BUT, I REITERATE, IT IS MAY 30TH AND I AM DISGUSTING. 

I don't know if it's a personal defect (It definitely is) but I tend not to be amazing with consistency when I'm not super satisfied with something. (Also, I procrastinate. I'm procrastinating right now, actually.) I think I have to learn that not everything is perfect, is meant to be perfect, can be perfect. If you don't keep working on it, you're not looking for better things, you're preventing them from being able to come to fruition. 

Anyway, self-berating session is done and over with. I've just finished from looking at other people's blogs (namely Style Rookie, Not Haute, and Theesparklecorner) and I'm motivated to keep working on mine and I'm crossing my fingers, toes and space fingers and space toes that this endeavor works out.

Do I have books to review today? Nah.

Books I've been reading:
1. 1984 - G. Orwell
2. The Picture of Dorian Gray - O. Wilde (I keep getting surprised every time I realize he's Irish...)
3. Candide - Voltaire (I know it sounds dry, but I think it's ridiculous, so I like it)
4. Brave New World - A. Huxley (finished!!!)

Books on Standby until I read my school's required reading lol:
1. Butterfly Mosque - G. Willow Wilson (I've had this for AGESSSS! Tell me why I haven't advanced, oh my goodness.......)
2. A Room of One's Own - V. Woolf
3. Favorite Poems - W. Wordsworth
4. The Oxford Book of Twentieth Century English Verse - Chosen by P. Larkin
5. The Poetry of Black America - Edited by A. Adoff (Can you tell I'm getting into poetry?)
6. The Bluest Eye - T. Morrison (I just read an blog post about a man teaching his 9th graders about internalized and institutional racism using this book and Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly)
7. Very Simple Arabic Script - J. Peters (I've been wanting to learn for the longest time! I learn languages better when I am familiar with their script. Might be a thing of life, might be a thing of mine.)

*I don't know what this blog is going to evolve into, but I also need to stop concerning myself so heavily with it. It's a blog, not the moral sensibilities of my first born child...
**A lot of the books listed are library books so I have to hurry it up and read lmao
***I'll review what I actually end up finishing. I'm issuing a challenge to myself - READ OR DIE. OR maybe just: read or feel a vague sense of disappointment. 
****Bye.

2 comments:

  1. hi there! i stumbled on your blog somehow-- how did i get here? (who knows its the internet)
    just wanted to say that I love your blog, or what I've seen of it, and can't help but feel like you're a kindred soul (junior in high school, loves books, writing, korean culture too). also, your writing style is perfect-- never change it :) anyway, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I also have no idea how anyone finds any blogs - I'm trying to find some myself, hahaha.

      Delete